Okavango Delta Elephant Safari Experience
The highlight of your Botswana elephant safari will be interacting with the Elephants, learning about their behaviour and having a wonderful game viewing experience where you will be surrounded by antelope such as Wildebeest and Lechwe. Game drives will allow you to explore the picturesque islands further afield.
In the dry season when the Delta floods, you will be able to enjoy game viewing from mokoros, you may even see the rare water adapted sitatunga during a mokoro trip, as they live in the thick papyrus beds along the permanent water channels.
Okavango Delta Elephant Safari Highlights
- Abundance of wildlife and over 380 bird species reside in the area
- Stay in a luxury tent with the option to sleep in a star bed under the African stars
- Meet, exchange trunk greetings and interact with the Abu Elephant Herd
- Take a nature walk and follow the elephants on foot as they move through the bush
- Explore the open grasslands and secluded islands on morning and afternoon game drives
- Glide along the silent waters of the Okavango channels by mokoro, dug-out canoe or boat (water level dependent)
- Fully inclusive of all flights, transfers, meals and activities
- Customisable and easily combinable with other Southern Africa highlights
Day 1: Light aircraft flight into the Okavango DeltaView Lodge
You will be met on arrival in Maun, gateway to the Okavango delta, transferred by a light aircraft to your bush camp.
The flight takes about 30 minutes, and it is a great way to take in the beautiful landscape of the exotic Delta below with its many different channels, and islands.
After a light lunch, you will have time to relax and settle into camp before a lovely high tea after which you will be taken to meet the Elephants.
You will go on a short game viewing expedition in a game viewing vehicle. Highly experienced guides who will help you spot animals such as giraffe, zebra, wildebeest, lion, leopard and many more.
You will return to your luxury safari camp in time for refreshing sundowners around the campfire, followed by a delicious dinner, which is often served, on the main deck. Go to sleep surrounded by the sounds of the African night.
Day 2: Walking with ElephantsView Lodge
Today is all about African elephants! You will get to interact and become one with the Abu Elephant Herd.
As you spend time with all the elephants, you will discover their unique personalities.
Spend time with their handlers learning about their habits and conservation efforts and then watch them take a mud bath.
Have your camera on hand to capture these special memories. Walking with elephants allows you to experience their habitat and discover the beauty of the bushveld.
Day 3: Explore the DeltaView Lodge
When the annual flood arrives, you might set off to explore the serene Delta channels in a traditional Mokoro (canoe). This allows you to explore the wetter areas of the concession and see the beautiful palm Islands.
In the evening sundowners may be served on the main deck, or perhaps you will drive out to where a beautifully laid table awaits, and the chef has conjured up a magnificent bush dinner.
After dinner under the stars, you can also go on a night drive with a spotlight to spot the nocturnal Delta inhabitants.
Day 4: Say farewell to the Abu Elephant Herd
After breakfast enjoy one last morning game drive in the Okavango Delta.
Spend some more time with the resident Elephant herd before you make your way back to Johannesburg via a light aircraft transfer and scheduled flight.
- Scheduled return flights from/to Johannesburg and Maun
- Air and road transfers from/to Maun and Abu Camp in the Okavango Delta
- Luxury tented en-suite accommodation featuring individual furnishings with an air of opulence
- Private plunge pool and elevated game viewing deck with striking views of the lagoon
- All meals including breakfast, lunch, bush tea and dinner
- Local branded drinks including all teas and coffees, bottled water, soft drinks, juices, spirits, beers and house wines
- Day and night game drives in open safari vehicle
- Nature walks with an experienced guide where you follow the elephants on foot
- Elephant experience where you physically interact with the herd, participate in or just observe activities such as mud bathing, training and veterinary care, gain insightful interpretation of elephant behaviour
- Water based activities which include mokoro and boat excursions (seasonal and water level dependent)
- Laundry service
- Park and conservation fees
- Premium branded drinks
- All other optional extras not mentioned above to be settled direct