This 8 day Botswana 4×4 Self-Drive safari explores the legendary wilderness areas of Northern Botswana, a place of incredible wildlife and remote, pristine wilderness.
4×4 Self-Drive Safari Experience
Many dream of travelling in Africa and seeing the extraordinary wildlife. Some get the opportunity of flying in to the game lodges and camps for a safari, but few get the chance to drive themselves through game-rich wild areas.
This Botswana Self Drive Adventure provides one of the greatest African safari experiences on the continent. You have the freedom of the road as this exciting self-drive Botswana holiday unfolds in truly unique surroundings.
Driving over rough terrain and experiencing the best of African wildlife is what this self-drive adventure is about – and at the end of each day, the pampering of the luxury lodges allows you to unwind and recall the experiences of the day.
4×4 Self-Drive Safari Highlights
- Travel to Moremi Game Reserve, Savute and Chobe National Park
- Can easily be extended by a few days in Victoria Falls
- Ideal if you have some experience with 4×4 driving
- During rainy season the roads can become flooded and slippery
- Road conditions vary and include tar, gravel, sand and mud
- Combination of self-drive and guided game viewing
- 4×4 vehicle with back-up service, satellite phone and satellite navigation
Day 1: Overnight in MaunView Lodge
Today you will pick up the keys to your ride before heading for a self-drive to Maun. Get a taste of this tourism hub as you drive through dusty roads to your comfortable Maun accommodation. You have the freedom to roam around at your own pace, and settle in to your accommodation for a peaceful night of sleep.
Day 2 & 3: Drive north towards Moremi Game ReserveView Lodge
Take to the road in your Botswana car rental to experience one of the most beautiful park in all of Africa – Moremi Game Reserve. You will pass by floodplains and ancient riverine forests as you make your way to your tented accommodation in Moremi. There will be the opportunity for an optional mokoro cruise to view game from the water channels, providing a unique perspective for your Botswana safari tour. The next two days are spent exploring this fascinating region on drives to witness wildlife in abundance.
(105 km / approx. 3 – 4 hours driving time)
Day 4 & 5: Explore the Savuti MarshView Lodge
Today is an early start as you head towards Chobe National Park, thought by many to be the top game parks in Africa, which is renowned for its large elephant population. A must-see is the spectacular Savute Marsh, home to most of Chobe’s incredible species. Watch as lion, cheetah, and hyena lurk through the swamplands and open savannah in search for their next meal. Whilst here you can explore the area via guided game drives in the late afternoon, and kiss the day goodbye with a cold drink in hand as you witness the African sunset.
(100 km / approx. 3 – 4 hours driving time)
Day 6 & 7: Abundant game viewing in ChobeView Lodge
In the morning, you will leave for Chobe to your accommodation built on the banks of the Chobe River. Here you can witness the majestic Chobe bushbuck, warthog, mongoose, vervet monkey and an abundant hippo. Spend your days exploring the region on game drives or track smaller creatures on walking safaris. Alternatively, you can spend the afternoon cruising the confluence of the Chobe and Zambezi Rivers. End off the evening with a delicious meal on the river deck and reflect on your safari.
(160 km / approx. 4 – 5 hours driving time)
Day 8: Kasane and onwards
You will have time for a morning optional activity before dropping off the vehicle at the airport and meet your onward travelling arrangements.
Rates & Prices
- Botswana 4×4 car rental for 8 days’ with back-up service, satellite phone and satellite navigation (premium insurance cover and unlimited mileage)
- 1 night classic accommodation by the river in Maun
- 2 nights’ accommodation at a tented camp near the Moremi Game Reserve
- 2 nights’ accommodation in the Savuti, Chobe National Park
- 2 nights’ accommodation at a safari lodge on the banks of Chobe River
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner from day 2 onwards
- Local branded drinks including water, tea, coffee, soft drinks, house beers and wines from day 2 to day 6
- Sunset cruise on Thamalakane River on day 1
- Morning and afternoon game drive in open safari vehicle with experienced guide on day 4 and 5
- Guided game drive and boat cruise into Chobe National Park (Park fees included) on day 6 and 7
- Laundry service
- Park fees and optional activities
- Meals and drinks not specified
- Call out fee in case of an emergency and all other extras to be settled direct